Green Chip Stocks
Green Investing News
Solar Energy News Archives
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Chinese solar firm Suntech to base North American outpost in S.F.
- 2007-10-23China's Suntech Power Holdings Co., one of the world's largest makers of solar cells, has chosen San Francisco as the site of its North American headquarters, the company's chief executive and Mayor Gavin Newsom said Monday.
Innovalight uses nanotechnology to improve solar cells
- 2007-10-16Silicon 'ink' product promises to boost efficiency at lower cost
IMEC researchers bring solar cell efficiency to 20 percent
- 2007-10-12In lab trials, an efficiency of 19.4 percent was achieved. The researchers now believe that the process can be used to manufacture solar cells with an efficiency of more than 20 percent.
Power Polymers Fuel Solar Cell Advances
- 2007-10-11There is renewed interest now, with states such as California leading the push. Solar is a new darling of venture capital and major polymers companies, such as DuPont and Bayer MaterialScience, see significant potential.
Toyota to Show Plug-in Flex-Fuel Hybrid Concept with Double the Fuel Efficiency of the Prius
- 2007-10-10Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) will exhibit eight concept and 13 other vehicles at the upcoming 40th Tokyo Motor Show. Among the concepts is the 1/X, (pronounced one-Xth), a vehicle that maintains an interior space on par with that of the Prius, with a targeted fuel efficiency that is double that of the Prius.
Konarka wins $4.7M to help build solar-power windows
- 2007-10-09Konarka Technologies Inc. has been selected by the National Institute of Standards and Technology to cooperatively conduct research and development on transparent, flexible solar modules for windows and other building-related applications.
Frito-Lay Uses Solar Power at Phoenix Facility
- 2007-10-08The 201-kilowatt system, made up of more than 1,000 Kyocera high output 200-watt photovoltaic (PV) modules, is the largest business-owned PV system in Arizona.
For Solar Power, the Future Looks Bright
- 2007-10-04Solar energy is now very real. And at hot companies like SunPower, the 'green' that matters is money - by the billions, writes Fortune's Marc Gunther.
Canadian Solar gets U.S. contract, shares rise
- 2007-10-02China's Canadian Solar Inc (CSIQ:NASDAQ.) said it signed a contract with American Capital Energy to supply solar modules for installation at a Connecticut water bottling facility as it looks to expand into U.S. markets.
Senators urged to invest in 'green tech' programs
- 2007-09-26Oakland businesses to fund job-training for solar-panel installers and other skilled work
Green energy: Solar's Big Boom
- 2007-09-26Dozens of planned projects could provide 65 times more solar power than at present.
Senate Passes $23B Water Bill
- 2007-09-25The Senate, ignoring a veto threat from the White House, authorized $23 billion in water projects Monday, including work to restore the hurricane-ravaged Louisiana coast and Florida's Everglades.
Solar island generates green power
- 2007-09-19A Swiss-designed artificial island is set to make its first appearance in the Gulf state of Ras al Khaimah, with the aim of providing a source of clean energy.
Nanotech could make solar energy as easy and cheap as growing grass
- 2007-09-17Scientists are working to produce cheap, sustainable solar energy by imitating nature. Nanotechnology researchers like California Institute of Technology professor Nate Lewis are exploring nanoscale materials that mimic the architecture of grass and photosynthesis to capture and store the suns energy.
Safeway Unveils First Solar-Powered Grocery Store
- 2007-09-17U.S. Congressman Jerry McNerney Joins Company to Tour First of 23 Planned Solar Stores in California
Solar energy will fit Costcos energy bill
- 2007-09-12Costco Wholesale Corp. is installing a solar electric system on its warehouse at Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, taking a significant step toward being green.
China Technology Development goes solar
- 2007-09-07China Technology Development Group (Nasdaq: CTDC), a Hong Kong-based computer network security company, announced today that it would enter the solar sector.
Solar plant seen for state
- 2007-09-05Fort Collins-based AVA Solar Inc. says it plans to develop a solar-panel manufacturing plant that could employ up to 500 workers.
Huge Solar Energy Project Coming To Region
- 2007-08-31A $20 million solar power project that can provide electricity to as many as 400 homes will be built next to a landfill in suburban Philadelphia, officials said Thursday.
Thin-layer Solar Cells May Bring Cheaper Green Power
- 2007-08-24Scientists are researching new ways of harnessing the sun's rays which could eventually make it cheaper for people to use solar energy to power their homes.
Group subsidizes solar
- 2007-08-20Nonprofit GRID helps low-income homeowners save on power bills.
Solar system to save AC Transit energy
- 2007-08-03AC Transit unveiled a 621-kilowatt solar power system that will help shave the transit agency's energy bills by more than $200,000 a year.
San Miguel eyeing solar power as alternative energy for facilities
- 2007-07-31San Miguel Corp., Southeast Asia's largest food and beverage firm, said Tuesday it was studying its options on how it could possibly utilize solar power as an alternative source of energy in running its manufacturing plants and other facilities across the region.
Germany sets shining example in providing a harvest for the world
- 2007-07-23Germany has 200 times as much solar energy as Britain. It generates 12% of its electricity from various renewables, compared with 4.6% in Britain. It has created a quarter of a million jobs in renewables - a number that is growing fast.
German City Pioneers Use of Solar Energy
- 2007-07-20German City Pioneers Use of Solar Power As Means of Conserving Energy to Fight Global Warming
Inexpensive solar cell technology created
- 2007-07-19 U.S. scientists have developed a technology to produce inexpensive solar cells that can be painted or printed on flexible plastic sheets.
Higher Efficiency Organic Solar Cell Created
- 2007-07-12Using plastics to harvest the energy of the sun just got a significant boost in efficiency thanks to a discovery made at the Center for Polymers and Organic Solids at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
US leads search for climate solutions
- 2007-07-11In the second of a series examining California's "green revolution", the BBC News website's Sam Wilson reports from San Jose on how the state is at the forefront of innovation in clean technology.
World's biggest solar farm planned in California
- 2007-07-09A San Francisco company said Friday it plans to build the world's largest solar power farm near Fresno, California.
Study: Solar power could add 123,000 new jobs by 2020
- 2007-07-03Opportunity on the Horizon: Photovoltaics in Texas finds the benefits of nurturing the solar energy industry will stimulate the state's economy, reduce the cost of power for consumers and minimize greenhouse gas emissions.
Proposed law in Pa. to mandate solar power
- 2007-06-27 Lawmakers are working on legislative action that would mandate a 1,250 percent increase in the solar requirements provided by electric utilities over the next 15 years.
Spain's Abengoa wins Moroccan thermal solar contract
- 2007-06-21 Spain's Abengoa has won a bid to build a 469-million ($628-million) thermal solar power station in Morocco, the North African country's national electricity office ONE announced Thursday.
Expanding German trade fair reflects solar power boom
- 2007-06-21Intersolar, a trade fair for the solar-energy industry, opened Thursday for the last time in the small German city of Freiburg and is to be held next year in the Munich because the industry is expanding so fast.
Solar World: EU grid parity by 2020
- 2007-06-14The day solar photovoltaic energy can compete with fossil fuel-driven electricity in Europe is not far off, delegates to the European Union Photovoltaic Technology Platform conference said this week.
Sharp Sees US Passing Japan in Solar by 2010
- 2007-06-13The United States should tie Japan as the world's second-largest generator of solar power by 2010 and could surpass Germany as the world's top generator soon after.
Akeena gets $2.2M armory solar project
- 2007-06-11Los Gatos-based Akeena (OTCBB:AKNS) said the new solar power installation generates 300 kilowatts of electricity, or the equivalent of power for 200 households.
Villages Feel 'Power' of Sun
- 2007-06-05In a village house near the International Border, Raj Kumar takes pride in his new possession - a small device that has rescued him from many a powerless nights.
Groups form alliance for solar
- 2007-06-01Hoping to cement the Bay Area's lead as a solar energy center, an alliance of industrial, academic and policy leaders will unveil an organization today, SolarTech, aimed in part at helping homeowners finance solar arrays and at training workers to install them.
Mitsubishi Achieves Record Conversion Efficiency in Solar Cell
- 2007-05-31Mitsubishi has achieved a photoelectric conversion efficiency rate of 18.0%, an improvement of 1.2% over previous models and the world's highest rate to date.
Solar flair as Budget goes green
- 2007-05-07The Federal Budget tonight will double the subsidy for home solar panels as the Government reinforces its green intentions.
Akeena Solar buys assets of Santa Rosa company
- 2007-05-07Los Gatos-based Akeena (OTCBB:AKNS) said it bought certain assets of the Santa Rosa-based company, and will assume its backlog and begin a marketing campaign in Sonoma and Napa counties.
Plastic Solar Cell Efficiency Hits 6% in U.S. Lab
- 2007-05-04Cheap plastic solar cells are now closer to becoming a reality thanks to a team of U.S. scientists at the Wake Forest University Center for Nanotechnology and Molecular Materials.
Mass-Market Organic Light Emitting Devices Could Power Lighting Revolution
- 2007-05-01An international research project has begun that could help bring to mass-market organic light emitting devices (OLEDs), which could have far reaching technological implications and cut the cost of lighting by billion of pounds each year.
Todays Topic Is Solar Energy Systems
- 2007-04-19Education = Good Marketing when it comes to solar.
Akeena Solar opens Manteca office
- 2007-04-19Los Gatos-based Akeena (OTCBB:AKNS) said its new office in Manteca is the third opened this year.
Air Force embraces solar power
- 2007-04-18The largest solar power plant in North America will soon be providing electricity to an Air Force base in the Nevada desert.
Evergreen Solar to build $150M plant in Westborough
- 2007-04-17Marlborough-based Evergreen Solar Inc. today unveiled plans to build a $150 million solar-panel manufacturing plant in Westborough. The expansion of Evergreen's business is expected to create 350 to 375 jobs in the Bay State, according to state officials.
Joe Bartlett's solar-energy exemption bill passed at 11th hour
- 2007-04-11Despite Senator Pipkin's sketchy attempt to kill it, the solar-energy exemption bill passed at the very last minute.
Santa Cruz schools may be converted to all solar power
- 2007-04-09Trustees vote April 18 on a contract calling for energy broker Generating Assets to pay Solar Technologies to install about $24 million worth of photovoltaic cells at each school.
High-efficiency solar cells come down to earth
- 2007-04-05After proving themselves in space, advanced multijunction solar cells are finally returning to the earthbound applications for which they were originally designed.
Getting the price right for solar
- 2007-04-04Suppliers of solar photovoltaic (PV) panels are in the midst of a multiyear investment boom, with an eye toward producing electricity as cheaply as the entrenched standard: fossil-fuel power generation.
Hecht's solar bill looking bright
- 2007-04-02Hecht's legislation would increase the minimum amount of renewable energy by 2 percent and require that addition be strictly solar.
Renewables legislation may fuel $30 million production plant in region
- 2007-04-02Legislative proposals to mandate that N.C. utilities use solar and other renewable-energy sources could help Charlotte keep a local company developing a new process for manufacturing solar cells.
Italy plans solar power plant
- 2007-03-28Italy is working to implement a plan to build the world's first solar power plant on the east coast of Sicily.
Tracking the Sun: Concentrating Solar Power Faces Bright Future
- 2007-03-20Nevada Solar One is the largest concentrating solar power plant to be built in 15 years.
Applied Materials to outshine Google with solar
- 2007-03-16A company that sells manufacturing tools to the solar industry is going to be one of the solar industry's biggest customers, too.
Entrepreneur has big, green ideas for a new little town
- 2007-03-12Quay Valley Ranch: Businessman wants to build solar-run community in the middle of nowhere in Kings County
DOE Awards $168 M in Solar America Initiative Funding
- 2007-03-09U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Secretary Samuel W. Bodman announced today that thirteen industry-led solar technology projects will receive up to $168 million in funding -- subject to appropriation from Congress -- as part of President Bush's Solar America Initiative (SAI), which is a component of the Advanced Energy Initiative (AEI).
Solar World: No panels here
- 2007-03-08Homebuilding contractor Lennar Corp. recently unveiled several new housing developments that feature BIPV technology, including plans for a 650-home development in Roseville, Calif., that will be the largest solar-powered neighborhood in the United States
Applied Materials bets its solar-production gear will reshape market
- 2007-03-05For over 40 years, Applied Materials Inc. has helped electronics makers cut product costs. It's done it for computer-chip makers, flat-panel TV makers and consumer-electronics providers. Now, it's taking the same playbook to the growing solar market.
Applied Materials Invests in Wind and Solar RECs
- 2007-03-02Applied Materials, Inc. is to purchase 8,220,000 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of clean renewable energy annually from wind and solar generation sources in California.
Solarworld builds USA's largest solar cell factory
- 2007-03-01The production is scheduled to ramp up already in summer 2007, with a preliminary capacity target of 100 MW.
Greens call for $1bn solar-heat subsidy
- 2007-02-23THE Australian Greens have called for a $1 billion federal subsidy scheme to introduce solar-heated hot water systems into homes.
The scheme would involve a $2000 subsidy for each house.
A sunny forecast for hot water
- 2007-02-21It's a solar power concept that was popular around the time Calvin Coolidge was president--but now it's poised for a comeback.
Akeena Solar forecasts $13.4M revenue for 2006
- 2007-02-21Los Gatos-based Akeena (OTCBB:AKNS), a designer and installer of solar power systems, said its preliminary figures show 86 percent growth over its 2005 revenue of $7.2 million.
Int'l Interest in Spanish Solar Power Plants Skyrockets
- 2007-02-19Moved by the favorable conditions granted by the Spanish legislation, the stable long-term retributive scenario, the steady economic growth of the country and the sure bright sun in the sky -- as long as climate change keeps on granting Spain such privilege -- solar investors are approaching Spain with deep cash-full pockets.
Md. Delegate Backs New Solar Panel Incentives
- 2007-02-19Delegate Joe Bartlett is sponsoring legislation raising grants for installations from 20 percent of the installation cost to 50 percent.
U.S. House of Representatives Approves Solar Project for Federal Building
- 2007-02-13The House of Representatives approved -- by voice vote legislation -- the installation of a solar energy system at the U.S. Department of Energy building in Washington, DC yesterday.
Task force says sun is economic powerhouse: Utilities teaming on solar project
- 2007-02-12According to a recent study by the Western Governors' Association Solar Task Force, the world's most abundant renewable energy source is the key to both preventing an Arizona energy crisis and boosting jobs.
Feed Law Powers Germany to New Renewable Energy Record
- 2007-02-05German farmers, homeowners and industrialists set a world record for the development of renewable energy in 2006. Using the country's pioneering electricity feed law, Germans invested more than U.S.$10 billion in new sources of renewable energy last year, including wind turbines, solar panels and biogas power plants.
Texas Power Company to Boost Solar Capabilities
- 2007-01-31Although Austin Energy is falling behind its goal to expand the supply of solar energy in Austin, Texas, the company is pursuing new plans that would create a massive facility in West Texas and significantly increase the city's renewable energy capacity.
SMUD Teams with California City to Speed Solar Installations
- 2007-01-26Elk Grove, the first local government to join the three-year pilot program that will run through 2009, will waive the permit fee, use a standardized application packet, review the building application in one day, and conduct the post-installation inspection of the solar electric system within 24 hours.
World's Largest Solar-Powered Roof to Be Built in California
- 2007-01-22The UK-based retail chain Tesco announced plans to build a $13 million solar installation on five-building, 820,400-square-foot distribution center in Riverside.
Protection Device for PV Inverters Gains UL1741 Approval
- 2007-01-10SatCon Technology Corporation (SATC) announced that it is the first provider of high-power, commercial photovoltaic inverters to deliver and install a UL1741-approved ground-fault detection interrupter (GFDI), which is designed to cut costs for installers of photovoltaic (PV) systems.
Honeywell Awarded Unique Solar Project
- 2007-01-08Honeywell (NYSE:HON) today announced that the Pleasanton Unified School District in the San Francisco Bay Area has awarded the company a unique solar energy project, one of the first of its kind for a K-12 school district in California. Under the agreement, Honeywell will install, own and maintain solar panels on seven district buildings, and sell the electricity the panels produce to the district at a price significantly below its current utility rate.
Wal-Mart readies large-scale move into solar power
- 2007-01-04The company put out an RFP (request for proposal) last month to solar electric suppliers and expects to receive responses early this month, according to a representative. The move is part of a long-term plan to convert to renewable energy sources.
Powered by Solar, Financed by Third-Party
- 2007-01-04How one California winery & a San Francisco-based investment company are setting a precedent in the renewable energy industry.
New Solar Homes Partnership Under Way in California
- 2007-01-03A blend of energy efficient solar homes will emerge on California's real estate market this year under the state's New Solar Homes Partnership -- a program that encourages builders to install solar energy systems on new homes as a standard feature for the home buyer, just like granite countertops.
GT Solar Opens Sales Offices in China
- 2007-01-02By forming GT Solar (Shanghai) Co., Ltd., GT Solar will expand its presence in China by opening offices in Shanghai and Beijing. Future plans include warehousing in the Waigaoqiao Free Trade Zone in PuDong.
Solar-Powered Poultry House Set for 2007
- 2006-12-27A first-of-its-kind solar-powered poultry house will soon begin operations at a [Delaware] farm owned by Allen Family Foods Inc. The house is part of a research project to evaluate the use of solar power as an economical source of energy for poultry houses.
Sanyo to Spend Y19 Billion to Boost Solar Cell Capacity
- 2006-12-20Sanyo Electric Co. Ltd. said on Tuesday it will spend 19 billion yen (US$161 million) to more than double its solar cell production capacity to better compete with larger rivals such as Sharp Corp.
ITOCHU Announces Investment in Solar Energy Company NorSun
- 2006-12-18ITOCHU Corporation (TSE: 8001; ADR: ITOCY) has announced that it will invest JPY 1 billion (4% of outstanding shares after investment) in solar energy company NorSun AS (Oslo, Norway, CEO: Jon Hindar), which is planning to produce monocrystalline silicon wafers for solar cells.
BP and Roofing Company to Jointly Offer Solar Roofing
- 2006-12-15BP and Old Country Roofing (OCR) have signed an agreement to offer turnkey solar roofing solutions to more than 100 homebuilding companies and homeowners.
REC to Build World's Biggest Solar Plant in Norway
- 2006-12-14Renewable Energy Corporation will build the world's biggest solar energy equipment plant in its Heroeya facility in southwestern Norway for 2.5 billion Norwegian crowns (US$407.8 million).
Spain embraces the sun
- 2006-12-14A building code makes solar panels compulsory on all new and renovated buildings in Spain.
Akeena Solar Inc. Registration Statement Declared Effective by Securities and Exchange Commission
- 2006-12-13Akeena Solar, Inc. (OTC BB: AKNS), a leading designer and installer of solar power systems, today announced that it has received notice from the Securities and Exchange Commission that the company's recently filed Form SB-2 Registration Statement has been declared effective.
Spire Announces Production Line for Thin Film PV Modules
- 2006-12-13Spire, which is introducing its new thin film module production line to address needs of the expanding PV market, has been developing machines for the generation of thin-film materials.
S.J. selected as site of major solar plant
- 2006-12-12MOVE BY NANOSOLAR ESTABLISHES VALLEY AS `CRADLE FOR CLEAN TECHNOLOGY' IN U.S.
Solar Industry Preparing for California Solar Initiative
- 2006-12-08As the start date for the California Solar Initiative (CSI) approaches, members of the solar business community are getting ready to make the change from a capacity-based payment structure to a performance-based incentive (PBI) structure.
CPUC Proposed Decision: RECs Belong to Solar System Owners
- 2006-12-07This reverses a proposed decision from early November that would have granted utilities full ownership of RECs. Many solar advocates and consumers argued that gifting RECs to utilities would have eliminated an important source of revenue for solar owners.
PSE to Develop Solar-Power Facility in Pacific Northwest
- 2006-12-05At 500 kilowatts (kW), the pilot solar project would roughly double the state's entire solar-powered electricity generation and be four times bigger than any solar facility in the Northwest.
SolarWorld Group Expands Module Recycling to U.S.
- 2006-12-01SolarWorld Industries America, subsidiary of Germany-based SolarWorld Group, expanded its solar module recycling program to include the U.S. market by offering customers the opportunity to return used and end-of-life solar modules.
Non-Silicon Manufacturing Plant to Open in 2008
- 2006-11-28With news headlines around the world reporting on the silicon shortage and its potential impact on the future of the solar industry, two European-based companies are banking that next-generation non-silicon technology will be a cost-competitive -- and energy efficient -- alternative to silicon solar modules.
China to build one of the world's biggest solar power stations
- 2006-11-21The 100-megawatt facility, to be built in Dunhuang, an oasis town in northwest China's Gansu province, would be a collaborative effort between the local government and Beijing's Zhonghao New Energy Investment, Xinhua news said.
A Sunnier Forecast for Solar Energy
- 2006-11-21Still Small, Industry Adds Capacity and Jobs to Compete With Utilities
PowerLight Completes First Phase of One MW Solar Project for S&P Co., Ltd in Gwangju, Korea
- 2006-11-21PowerLight Corporation, the leading global provider of solar power systems, announced today the completion of the first phase (800 kW) of a 1 megawatt (MW) solar power project in Gwangju, Korea, located 200 miles south of Seoul.
Akeena Solar Announces Third Quarter 2006 Results
- 2006-11-14Third Quarter 2006 Revenue Reaches $3.6 Million, up 62% over Third Quarter 2005 Company Increases 2006 Annual Revenue Growth Expectations to 70% Compared to 2005
Lennar Homes to Build Nation's Largest Solar Community
- 2006-11-13Lennar recently announced a partnership with PowerLight Corporation and Roseville Electric to build the nations largest solar community.
Open Energy and Infinia To Develop a Suncone/Stirling Solar-Electric Power System
- 2006-11-13Open Energy Corporation and Infinia Corporation (formerly Stirling Technology Company) plan to integrate Sterling engines and solar concentrators to create a new solar-powered electric generation system.
Solar expected to shine
- 2006-11-13Increasingly, investors and utilities are looking at large-scale solar power plants that over time some say within the next 10 to 15 years are expected to be cost-competitive with conventional fossil-fuel systems during expensive peak hours.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7