Green Chip Stocks
Green Investing News
Geothermal Energy News Archives
Japan Geothermal Projects Pick Up After 20 Years: Report
- 2009-01-05Mitsubishi Materials Corp, Electric Power Development Co, or J-Power, Nittetsu Mining Co Ltd and Kyushu Electric Power Co will lead the way, and the government plans to step up support for geothermal power station development, it added.
East Africa Set For Geothermal Power Expansion: U.N.
- 2008-12-10East Africa is poised for expansion in geothermal power capacity next year to meet growing demand in the world's poorest continent, the U.N. Environment Program (UNEP) said Tuesday.
US To Boost Geothermal Energy Use On Federal Lands
- 2008-10-23The US Interior Department said on Wednesday it would make more than 190 million acres of federal lands in 11 western states and Alaska available to energy companies to develop geothermal energy resources for generating electricity.
US DOE to Provide Up to $43.1M Over 4 Years for Enhanced Geothermal Systems Research, Development and Demonstration
- 2008-10-07The US Department of Energy (DOE) will provide up to $43.1 million over four years (subject to annual appropriations) to 21 awardees, including a 13 awards to first-time recipients, for research, development and demonstration of Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS) for next-generation geothermal energy technologies.
U.S., Australia and Iceland Team to Tap Geothermal Energy
- 2008-09-02The U.S. Dept. of Energy formed a partnership with Australia and Iceland to advance an untapped renewable energy source that can help address climate change: enhanced geothermal systems (EGS).
Geothermal Company Set to Open First Plants
- 2008-08-29Five years after going public, geothermal company Raser Technologies Inc is on the verge of a major milestone: earning real revenue.
Australian "Hot Rocks" Offer 26,000 Yrs of Power
- 2008-08-21Barely one percent of Australia's untapped geothermal energy could produce 26,000 years worth of clean electricity, scientists said, as the government announced a a A$50 million (US$43 million) project to help develop the technology.
DOE to Invest up to $90 Million in Advanced Geothermal Energy Technology and Research
- 2008-06-19The US Department of Energy (DOE) issued a Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) for up to $90 million over four years to advance the research, development and demonstration of next-generation geothermal energy technology to harness the earths interior heat extracted from hot water or rocks.
Idaho Public Utility Commission Approves Full Output Power Purchase Agreement for Raft River Unit One
- 2008-01-16The terms of the new contract allow for variable output up to a maximum of 15.8 megawatts, in place of the previous limit of a 10-megawatt monthly average as stipulated by the existing PURPA contract.
U.S. Geothermal Completes Construction at Raft River
- 2007-12-28After a number of start-up mechanical issues were successfully addressed, the plant was restarted on November 22 and is continuing operations.
U.S. Geothermal Resumes Power Plant Test Phase at Raft River
- 2007-11-28U.S. Geothermal Inc. (OTC BB:UGTH.OB), a renewable energy company focused on the production of electricity from geothermal energy, announced today that the company's Unit One geothermal power plant at Raft River, Idaho resumed start up operations on Sunday, November 25th.
Nevada Geothermal Power Inc. Announces the Closing of US$20 Million Bridge Financing
- 2007-11-05Nevada Geothermal Power Inc. (OTC BB:NGLPF.OB) today announced that its' wholly owned and newly formed subsidiary NGP Blue Mountain I LLC ("NGP I") has closed a US$20 Million Bridge Financing with Glitnir Banki hf ("Glitnir") and has amended/restated the Commitment Letter for the Construction Loan to include Glitnir as underwriter of the construction loan.
High hopes for renewable power from Earth's depths
- 2007-10-12Icelanders' long experience will help Californians tap that source of heat.
Scaling Geothermal for Reliable Baseload Power
- 2007-10-05Geothermal is the most reliable form of renewable baseload power and given the proper financial support from the private sector -- and favorable policies from government -- it will become a viable alternative to coal, natural gas and nuclear, according to speakers at the Geothermal Resource Council's annual meeting in Reno, Nevada earlier this week.
U.S. Geothermal Inc. to Start Trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange October 1
- 2007-09-28U.S. Geothermal Inc. ("U.S. Geothermal") (CDNX:GTH.V) (OTC BB:UGTH.OB) announced today that its common shares will be listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange ("TSX") effective at market opening Monday, October 1, 2007 under its existing trading symbol "GTH". The TSX is the senior equity market in Canada.
Icelandic Investors Eye Indonesia's Geothermal Reserve
- 2007-09-17The country could generate up to 27,000 megawatt of power from its geothermal reserves , experts said in an Indonesia-Iceland Geothermal Forum organized by the Indonesian embassy in Reykjavik, Iceland.
Is the World Warming to Geothermal Energy?
- 2007-09-17Two recent developments highlight this growing interest, and investors interested in clean energy and geothermal energy in particular are encouraged to take note.
Geothermal sites declared as special economic zones
- 2007-09-10President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo declared seven geothermal sites in the country as industrial economic zones thru an executive order she signed Monday.
U.S. geothermal energy sector promising
- 2007-09-06Geothermal energy could fill a sizable chunk of United States electricity requirements if legislative, technological and other challenges are met, a senior U.S. Department of Energy official said.
Huge Potential for Green Geothermal Energy in the US, Holds Glitnir
- 2007-09-05First "Steam of Opportunities" Conference Outlines US Geothermal Energy Potential
Kenya KenGen signs deal for 35 MW geothermal plant
- 2007-08-21The Kenya Electricity Generating Company (KenGen) plans to construct a new geothermal plant that will boost generation by 35 megawatts (MW), the power producer said.
Chevron expands geothermal operations in Indonesia
- 2007-08-14Chevron Corp., the only foreign business currently developing geothermal energy in Indonesia, is expanding operations at one of its power plants on Java island to bring electricity to an additional 700,000 homes, the company said Tuesday.
Hot rocks energy well on the way
- 2007-08-01Drilling will start soon on the well and, if successful, it is expected to generate Australia's first commercially available geothermal energy by the end of 2010.
Raser Technologies secures geothermal rights in Utah
- 2007-07-25These leases bring the total land Raser has under lease in Utah alone for geothermal development to more than 40,000 acres.
Funding boost for geothermal energy
- 2007-07-19The Government's science funding agency plans to put $11.5 million into finding ways to boost the electricity generated from geothermal energy.
Push for Geothermal Juice Picks Up Steam
- 2007-06-07There's good reason one of the nation's most promising renewable energies is the industry's best-kept secret: It's buried miles under the surface of the Earth.
Calpine to pump up the Geysers geothermal project
- 2007-05-31Expansion plans for the Geysers answer calls for cleaner energy.
We Have Just Begun to Tap Geothermal Energy's Potential
- 2007-05-17"Today, nearly 3,000 MW of new geothermal power are under development, which will create over 10,000 new jobs and new investment of over $7 billion, but much more is possible," Paul Thomsen, Public Policy Manager of Ormat Technologies, told the House Science Subcommittee on Energy and Environment.
Alaska Lawmakers Seek More US Geothermal Funds
- 2007-03-29Alaska's two Republican US senators usually line up with the Bush administration on energy issues, but now want the Democrat-led Congress to save federal funding for geothermal power, a move the White House says is unneeded.
A Step Toward Inexpensive Geothermal Energy
- 2007-03-14New research provides a model for improving an alternative energy source. In the debate over alternative energy resources, geothermal technology has received scant media attention. An Ohio University hydrothermal systems expert is working to change that.
Advocates push for geothermal energy
- 2007-03-02With a reasonable investment in research and development, geothermal technology could provide 100,000 megawatts or more of cost-competitive generating capacity in the next 50 years.
$5m in federal funds for geothermal energy project
- 2007-02-20The Federal Government is providing $5 million to help develop geothermal energy in South Australia's Flinders Ranges.
Geothermal: An Undervalued U.S. Energy Source
- 2007-02-16The United States, generating 300 megawatts, is already the biggest producer of geothermal.
Mining heat from the earth? New technology shows promise.
- 2007-02-07New techniques could expand the capabilities of geothermal power, producing 10 percent of US electricity by 2050.
Ormat and DOE to Validate Electricity Generation from Oilfield Heat
- 2007-01-25Ormat Technologies, Inc., a geothermal and recovered energy business, has signed a shared-cost Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with the US Department of Energy (DOE) to validate the feasibility of using geothermal power generation technology for the production of commercial electricity using hot water produced during the process of oilfield production.
Study Says Tapping of Granite Could Unleash Energy Source
- 2007-01-23The United States could generate as much electricity by 2050 as that flowing today from all of the countrys nuclear power plants by developing technologies that tap heat locked in deep layers of granite, according to a new study commissioned by the Energy Department.
MIT-Led Study: Geothermal Could Supply Substantial Portion of Future US Power Need
- 2007-01-22A comprehensive new MIT-led study of the potential for geothermal energy within the United States has found that Enhanced Geothermal System (EGS) technology could supply a substantial portion of US electricity well into the future, probably at competitive prices and with minimal environmental impact.
Texas eyes Geothermal Energy
- 2007-01-15Texas is known for oil and gas, but the state said Friday it will sell its first leases for development of geothermal energy. Tracts totaling 11,000 acres in state-owned coastal waters in the Gulf of Mexico will be up for lease on Tuesday as part of an annual winter oil and gas lease sale, the Texas General Land Office said in a news release.
Geysir Green Energy to Focus on Geothermal Projects Globally
- 2007-01-09Geysir Green Energy intends to seek market opportunities in the harnessing of geothermal energy, invest in the development and construction of geothermal plants, acquire geothermal plants currently owned by power utilities and participate in the privatization of energy companies all over the world.
Raser Secures 50-Year Geothermal Lease
- 2007-01-03While the company is expanding into geothermal power generation, it plans to continue its current business in transportation, industrial and military sectors.
Nevada to Quadruple Its Geothermal Power, Says GEA Report
- 2006-12-29Nevada is on-track to be producing more than 1000 megawatts (MW) of geothermal power, a level that would meet roughly 25% of the state's total power needs, according to a new report from the Geothermal Energy Association (GEA).
Western GeoPower Gains $2.5 M for "Unit 1"
- 2006-12-12The new power plant, to be named Western GeoPower Unit 1, is due to commence commercial operations in late 2009, providing approximately 200,000 megawatt-hours per year of clean, base-load electricity to the California market.
China's Geothermal City Opens New Heating Utility
- 2006-12-06The first phase of a new geothermal district heating utility in China's official geothermal city, Xian Yang, opened this week.
PG&E Cleared to Add New Renewable Geothermal Energy
- 2006-12-05Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) has received approval from the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) to contract for up to 120 megawatts (MW) of clean geothermal renewable energy under California's Renewables Portfolio Standards (RPS) Program.
Geothermal power plants could also consume CO2
- 2006-11-10Pumping carbon dioxide through hot rocks could simultaneously generate power and mop up the greenhouse gases produced by fossil fuel power stations, according to a new study.
US Geothermal Power Expanding Dramatically
- 2006-11-10Some 58 new geothermal energy projects are now under development in the US, according to a survey by the Geothermal Energy Association (GEA) - the industry trade group.
Extensive Geothermal Energy Resources at Raft River
- 2006-10-24The recent deepening of two existing injection wells at Raft River, Idaho, by U.S. Geothermal as part of its well-improvement program for the Phase One -- a 13-megawatt (MW) geothermal binary cycle power plant now under construction -- shows the geothermal resource has extensive potential.
Indonesia sitting on geothermal power plant
- 2006-10-23Indonesia, land of earthquakes and volcanoes, is literally sitting on top of the solution for its energy needs: Vast reservoirs of hot water deep beneath the earths crust can be harnessed to generate electricity.
- 2006-10-19 Indonesia, land of earthquakes and volcanoes, is literally sitting on top of the solution to its energy needs: Vast reservoirs of hot water deep beneath the Earth's crust can be harnessed to generate electricity.
Puna Geothermal still on track
- 2006-10-17Reno-based Ormat (NYSE: ORA) said Monday that the plant was still generating power normally. Hilo and Puna District are on the eastern side of the Big Island while the epicenter of the Richter 6.6 quake was off the Kohala Coast on the western side of Hawaii County.
Ormat aims to increase alternative-power capacity
- 2006-10-11Ormat Industries Inc., the second-largest operator of geothermal power plants in the US, aims to expand capacity by up to 100 megawatts a year from 2008 as regulations spur utilities to use alternative power, Chief Executive Officer Yehudit Bronicki said.
New Mexico should do more to develop its geothermal potential
- 2006-09-20The state could generate 10% to 25% of its power from specific geothermal sites excluding the Valles Caldera area, according to recent reports including the 250 MW estimate in this years geothermal task force of the Western Governors Association and the 240 MW to 600 MW range from Sandia National Laboratory.
Geothermal Energy Receives Congressional Support
- 2006-09-19Ten Senators urged the Department of Energy to amend its loan guarantee solicitation to include geothermal energy in a bipartisan letter written in response to recent legislation excluding geothermal from the Strategic Plan's mix of eligible renewable energy projects.
An Important Development for Geothermal Power
- 2006-09-15Distributed generation is now a real option for the geothermal industry, opening up more potential resources for power around the world, according to a leading expert on geothermal energy.
Alaska Opens Its First Geothermal Power Plant
- 2006-08-23Chena Hot Springs, just outside Fairbanks, is the first geothermal power plant to come online in Alaska.
Geothermal Technology delivers healthhy returns to the environment and the bottom line
- 2006-08-16As oil, gas and electricity costs continue to climb, more Ontario homeowners and businesses are discovering that 'going green' with geothermal solutions from Selectpower Inc. is paying off for both the environment and the bottom line.
20-year PPA signed for 35 MW of geothermal power in Nevada
- 2006-08-14Nevada Geothermal Power (NGP) signed a 20-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with Nevada Power Company, a subsidiary of Sierra Pacific Resources, for up to 35 megawatts (MW) of geothermal power to be produced from a new geothermal power plant to be built at NGP's Blue Mountain geothermal site in northern Nevada. The power will be used by the utility to serve its customers in Nevada.
Up to 60 MW PPAs Signed in Nevada for Geothermal Power
- 2006-08-08Sierra Pacific Resources has signed power purchase agreements (PPAs) with Ormat Technologies Inc., that will add up to 60 megawatts (MW) of new renewable generating capacity to its energy portfolio.
More Geothermal Sources Found in Nevada
- 2006-08-04The Great Basin Center for Geothermal Energy, part of the University of Nevada, Reno, is observing the way the Earth's crust is shifting along fault lines using new technology that can locate geothermal energy sources, according to its director.
Ground Broken for First Pacific Northwest Geothermal Project
- 2006-08-03U.S. Geothermal held a groundbreaking celebration for the first geothermal power plant in Idaho and the Pacific Northwest on the project site at Raft River, Idaho.
Consortium to Work on Three Geothermal Power Plants in Indonesia
- 2006-08-02The Sarulla project represents the largest single-contract geothermal project to date in the geothermal industry worldwide and is a reflection of the large scale and high productivity of Indonesian geothermal resources, as well as an indicator of the potential of the Indonesian geothermal power industry.
Senate and House Actions Restore Geothermal Research Program
- 2006-06-29The Senate Energy and Water Subcommittee voted to restore full funding for the DOE geothermal research program in FY 2007, which now provides $22.5 million for geothermal research, similar to previous years.
California Advised to Adopt 50% Renewable Power Goal
- 2006-05-25To achieve the 50 percent renewable energy goal, Gawell called upon the state to expand its use of geothermal energy for direct uses, such as heating buildings and installing geothermal heat pumps, tenfold within 20 years.
Canadian Geothermal Financing Helps Homeowners
- 2006-05-23Homeowners in Canada can now access a competitive financing option for geothermal installations due to a partnership between NextEnergy and Homeworks to meet increased demand.
Drilling for Geothermal Plants in Nevada Yields Results
- 2006-05-17Nevada Geothermal Power (NGP) has initiated development drilling at Blue Mountain Nevada. Production test data from the wells will be used to complete a feasibility study for an initial 30 MW geothermal power plant.
New Plant to Supply 20 MW of Geothermal Power in 20-Year PPA
- 2006-05-15This agreement marks the 10th PPA between Ormat and Sierra Pacific Power, and the fourth executed since the enactment of Nevada's renewable portfolio standard legislation in 2001.
Geothermal Could Meet 6% of U.S. Electrical Needs by 2025
- 2006-05-03Geothermal resources could supply more than 30,000 MW of power by 2025, the Geothermal Energy Association (GEA) told the Senate Energy and Water Appropriations Subcommittee earlier this week.
Drilling into a hot volcano
- 2006-03-27Their $20m project will lead to boreholes that could ultimately yield 10 times as much geothermal power as any previous project.
Geothermal Power Plant Expands in New Zealand
- 2006-03-09TPC's Mokai becomes the sixth largest electricity generator in New Zealand, with the ability to generate almost 2% of New Zealand's total electricity requirements.